Login

Fire Service Advice


> CANDLES

Extinguish all candles before you go to bed. In particular, never leave a burning candle in a bedroom.
Keep candles, matches and cigarette lighters out of reach of children and never place lit candles where they can be knocked over by children or household pets. Always put candles on a heat resistant surface/ holders. Be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which can get hot enough to melt plastic or ignite combustible Christmas decorations.
Position candles away from objects that may catch fire, like Christmas trees, greeting cards, ribbons and other decorations.
Never move lit candles.
Always use a candle snuffer or a spoon to extinguish candles or tea lights.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


> ALCOHOL

 

If you’re tired, have been drinking, or taking drugs, you will be less alert to the signs of fire.

You are more likely to fall asleep.

You are less likely to wake up if a fire does start, particularly if you don’t have working smoke or heat alarms in your home.

If fire does break out alcohol or drugs can heighten feelings of disorientation, making it difficult for you to escape.

Cooking and alcohol can be a recipe for disaster.

If you’ve been drinking alcohol or taking drugs, don’t cook.

Smoking is the main cause of death from fire in the home. You are more likely to lose your life in a fire if you drink and smoke.

In many fires started by cigarettes, people have also been drinking and are sleepy.

Never smoke in bed.

Don’t smoke in your chair if you’ve been drinking or you’re feeling tired.  If you do feel tired smoke outside or stand up and smoke at a window or outside door.